Saturday, December 8, 2007

Day 95: Dec. 8, 2007


day95
Originally uploaded by budandmary
Our quest for white concrete stain wasn't as simple as I imagined, but we should have a quart of our very own by Wednesday anyway.

Website printout in hand, we stopped by the local paint/flooring place that carries the stain. When I requested white, the woman looked as if I had asked for neon orange. I showed her that the website listed "quartz white," but she didn't seem interested in ordering it or making any suggestions. So we left her to her customer-free store.

At home, I called the next closest place listed on the site. The phone was disconnected.

I hit the a home run on the third try, though.

Dwight was more than happy to help, even though by now it was just a few minutes before his store was closing. He didn't have white in stock either, so I explained how we wanted to use the stain, asking whether he thought it was worth special-ordering some to test on unused stone.

Since he wasn't familiar with the white, he wanted to research whether it would give us the effect we're looking for. He said he'd call back Monday, but my cell phone rang in about 15 minutes. He said the stain seemed to be a slightly grayish white on the color chart and he thought it might work well. So I bought the quart.

When we stopped by the house this morning, Gary and Jimmy's new assistant was tearing out plaster. (Bud thinks his name sounds something like "Suri," so that what I'll call him 'til we find out we're wrong.) That's the first Saturday work we've seen in a while!

We stopped by this evening and, with the help of a flashlight and the camera's flash, we saw that the blue walls of the pantry are gone.

No comments: